1.7.09

Baked Potato Salad

I went to the Dallas Farmers Market on Monday on a quest for blueberries. My friend had picked some up over the weekend and brought them over on Sunday afternoon to snack on while we lounged poolside. They were AMAZING...sweet and juicy and full of flavor, nothing like the conventional ones you buy at the supermarket. The next morning, I decided I had to have some of my own.

I had never been to the farmers market on a weekday (mainly since until recently I spent my weekdays chained to my desk) and apparently no one else does either, including the farmers. Needless to say, the pickins were slim and there were no blueberries, but I did not, however, leave empty handed. I picked up a basket of locally grown new potatoes and green onions on my way out and headed home to fix myself some lunch. On the way home, I started thinking about what I could make with potatoes that wasn't too heavy. I've been on a salad kick, ever since the ridiculous heat of Texas summer arrived, so I decided that potato salad would be my lunch.

My primary experience with potato salad is the pre-made yellow stuff my mother used to buy at Sam's, of which I was never a fan. One thing I have always been a fan of, though, is baked potatoes, loaded with bacon bits, sour cream, cheddar and chives, the ultimate comfort food. Being that it was 110 degrees outside, a steaming hot baked potato was the last thing I wanted to eat, so I came up with a salad version, served cold and perfect for the summer. It's incredibly easy to make and tastes delicious, especially after its sat in the fridge a day or two.


Baked Potato Salad

2 lbs new potatoes, quartered
1/2 cup canola mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
4 oz sharp cheddar cheese, grated
3 green onions, chopped
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
chives (for garnish)

Bring a pot of water to boil. Add the potatoes and cook until tender. Drain the water and allow potatoes to cool to room temperature. (You can prep the potatoes ahead of time and store them in the fridge)

In a mixing bowl, combine mayonnaise, sour cream, onions, cheese, bacon and spices. Add the potatoes and stir to coat.

Serve chilled, topped with grated cheese and chives (optional).